Prep time: 20 mins
Cook time: 30 mins
Total time: 50 mins
5 Tablespoons Butter
1 Medium Yellow Onion Diced
1 Cup Diced Carrots
3 Cloves Garlic Minced
Salt & Pepper
⅓ Cup All Purpose Flour
3 Cups Chicken Broth or Stock
4 Cups Broccoli Florets
2 Cups Heavy Cream or half & half
⅓ Cup Sour Cream
1 teaspoon Dijon Mustard, OPTIONAL
½ teaspoon Hot Sauce, OPTIONAL
2 Cups Shredded Sharp Cheddar Cheese
1. Method for Stovetop Cooking: Melt the butter in a big saucepan or Dutch oven over medium heat.
2. Stir in the chopped onion, carrots, minced garlic, and a dash of salt and pepper.
3. Cook the veggies for 6 minutes with the lid on the saucepan, stirring regularly.
4. The medium setting should be activated. You should stir them continually during the 2 minutes when the veggies are cooking with the flour.
5. Blend the chicken stock in gradually while whisking.
6. The broccoli florets should be added to the pan. Broccoli will be ready after 5-6 minutes of simmering.
7. Meanwhile, combine the sour cream, Dijon mustard, and spicy sauce with the heavy cream in a medium bowl using a whisk.
8. Whisk the remaining cream and 1 ladleful (about 1/2 cup) of the soup stock.
9. Slowly pour the heavy cream mixture into the soup while whisking continually. Now is a good time to taste the soup and season it with salt and pepper to your liking.
10. Turn off the heat and, in batches of three to four handfuls at a time, whisk in the shredded cheese until melted and smooth.
11. ADVANCED OPTION FOR A SILKIER SOUP: Take a ladleful of the soup (approximately a cup) and put it in a bowl. Carefully purée the soup to the desired consistency using an immersion blender. Bring back the soup you set aside. OR use a blender to purée the soup in two or three batches until smooth.