Prep time: 10 mins
Cook time: 35 mins
Total time: 45 mins
Extra virgin olive oil (I used Private Reserve Greek EVOO)
16 oz baby Bella mushrooms, cleaned well and halved or sliced
1 yellow onion, chopped
4 garlic cloves, chopped
2 celery stalks, chopped
1 carrot, chopped
8 oz white mushrooms, cleaned and chopped
½ cup canned crushed tomatoes
1 tsp coriander
½ tsp to ¾ teaspoon smoked paprika
½ tsp cumin
6 cups low-sodium broth (vegetable broth or beef broth)
1 cup pearl barley rinsed
½ cup packed chopped parsley
1. Extra virgin olive oil should be heated in a large Dutch oven over medium heat until it shimmers but is not smoking. Cook the young bell mushrooms until they soften and turn a rich brown (about 5 minutes or so). Take off the stove and put it on hold for the time being.
2. Extra virgin olive oil should be added to the same saucepan. Put in some chopped white mushrooms, onion, garlic, celery, and carrot. Four to five minutes in a pan over medium heat is ideal. Salt & pepper to taste.
3. Put in the smashed tomatoes and seasonings now (coriander, smoked paprika, cumin). Steadily toss for around 3 minutes to ensure even cooking.
4. Put pearl barley in a pot with broth. Cook at a full boil for 5 minutes before decreasing the heat. Cover and cook for 30 minutes over low heat, occasionally checking, until the barley is soft.
5. Put the Bella mushrooms back into the saucepan once they’ve been cooked. Warm the mushrooms for about five minutes or until they are at your desired temperature.
6. Top with chopped fresh parsley. Pour into serving dishes and eat up!