Prep time: 15 mins
Cook time: 1hr 10 mins
Total time: 1hr 25 mins
2 Tbsp. olive oil
2 Tbsp. unsalted butter
1 yellow onion, finely chopped
¾ cup finely chopped carrots
½ cup finely chopped celery
8 oz. baby Bella (cremini) mushrooms, sliced
4 garlic cloves, minced
1 cup dry wild rice blend (such as Lundberg brand)
1 Tbsp. poultry seasoning (sub–Herbs De Provence)
1 tsp. kosher salt
½ tsp. black pepper
4 cups (1 quart) lower sodium vegetable broth
⅔ Cup heavy cream (sub cashew cream*)
⅓ Cup finely grated Parmesan cheese
1. As the soup is simmering, measure out the heavy cream and set it out to come to room temperature. Alternately, whip up some cashew cream (see notes for instructions).
2. Over medium heat, melt the butter and oil in a large stockpot or Dutch oven. Incorporate the onion, carrots, and celery once the pan is heated, and simmer for 8 minutes or until the vegetables have softened.
3. Stir in the mushrooms and garlic. Soft and golden mushrooms will be ready in 6-8 minutes with periodic stirring.
4. Douse the rice with the mixture and mix everything. The rice needs only 1–2 minutes in the pan to get mild toasting. Mix in salt, pepper, and poultry seasoning.
5. To a one-cup serving of broth, add one cup of water and whisk. Bring the ingredients to a low boil, cover, and cook on medium-low heat until the rice is cooked, 45-60 minutes.
6. Turn off the heat and add the heavy cream (or cashew cream). Add the Parmesan cheese gradually, constantly whisking to prevent clumping, until well incorporated. Take off the heat and serve in bowls.