Prep time: 10 mins
Cook time: 8 mins
Total time: 18 mins
2 (5 to 6-ounce) cans of tuna
2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
1/2 cup white bread, torn into small pieces
1 teaspoon lemon zest
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1 tablespoon water or liquid from the cans of tuna
2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
2 tablespoons chopped fresh chives, green onions, or shallots
Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
Crystal or Tabasco hot sauce to taste
1 raw egg
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1/2 teaspoon butter
Lemon wedges for serving (optional)
1. Empty the liquid from the tuna cans. In the following step, add a teaspoon of olive oil to the tuna mixture and a tablespoon of the tuna water if using tuna packed in water.
2. To make the tuna combination, mix the tuna, mustard, torn white bread, lemon zest, lemon juice, water, parsley, chives, and hot sauce in a medium bowl. Use coarse sea salt and freshly ground black pepper. Before adding the egg, give the mixture a taste to determine if extra spice is needed to suit your preferences. Add the egg and stir.
3. A recipe for tuna cakes, using all the ingredients in a bowl.
4. To prepare tuna patties, the ingredients are combined in a bowl.
5. Mix into patties and refrigerate:
6. Split the mixture into quarters. Roll each piece into a ball, and then press it into a patty shape. Put on a sheet of wax paper and refrigerate in the fridge for an hour. (If you’re pressed for time, you may omit the refrigeration step. (Refrigeration is optional, although it does help the patties hold together during cooking.)
7. Scoops of fish patties laid out on parchment paper illustrate how to prepare tuna fish.
8. You are compressing tuna patties to demonstrate assembly.
9. I am preparing a tuna cake by pressing the cake batter flat.
10. For a quick sauté on a skillet,
11. Olive oil and (optional) butter should be heated in a nonstick or cast-iron pan over medium heat. Lay the patties gently in the pan and cook for about three to four minutes on each side or until they are well browned.
12. Wedge a lemon over each serving. Serve on slider buns with tartar sauce for a tuna burger alternative.