Prep time: 5 mins
Cook time: 10 mins
Total time: 15 mins
1 bunch broccoli
Olive oil, butter, or mayonnaise (use olive oil if cooking vegan)
Freshly ground black pepper
Lemon zest or juice, balsamic vinegar, seasoned rice vinegar
Toasted sesame seeds
1. Peel the broccoli and cut off the tough ends.
2. Remove the broccoli heads from the main stalks. Separate the crown into smaller pieces, such as florets.The broccoli flowers should be washed thoroughly.
3. The stems’ tough outer layer should be peeled off and thrown away. The stems can be sliced in half or quartered lengthwise.
4. Put a steamer into a pot with 3/4 to 1 inch of water and heat to a boil. (Remember that you may skip the steamer altogether and boil the broccoli for a few minutes.)
5. Put broccoli in the steamer, cover, and cook over medium heat for 5-6 minutes or until broccoli is tender. When a fork easily pierces the broccoli, it is ready. Remove from heat and transfer to a serving plate as soon as it can be pierced with a fork.
6. After around 7 minutes in the oven, broccoli and other green veggies will lose their brilliant color and turn a dull olive green. Don’t forget to watch the clock to ensure the broccoli doesn’t burn!
7. Cover with your preferred condiment:
8. Butter, olive oil, mayonnaise, lemon zest or juice, seasoned rice vinegar, balsamic vinegar, powdered black pepper, toasted almonds, or sesame seeds are just some of the condiments that may be used to customize your salad.